Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday, September 24

CJ has been "unhooked"! This is a good sign. The doctors are monitoring how he does off of all the fluids in the IV and if he continues to do well he can go home (possible today). His blood work came back and the levels look good. The expected changes are happening but we take comfort that it means the chemo is working in breaking down the cells.

More importantly, his spirits are lifted and I am beginning to see signs of the typical CJ. Like yesterday when I got to the hospital he was sitting in bed writing thank you letters to people he wanted to thank. That is like CJ! He was also trying to straighten up his hospital room. That is like CJ! He was asking about his siblings at home and saying how much he missed them. That is like CJ! He had his head down because of severe jaw pain and I said what's wrong and he said "I'm just praying." That is like CJ!

We are excited at the prospect of getting him home today. We are anxious to have our family together and not be separated. Yet, if I were completely honest there is an apprehension about taking him home as well. Here at the hospital they are coming in every 2 hours to take his temperature and blood pressure. They are monitoring his pain and side effects. They check his blood levels daily here and hand us a printout of all his levels. It's tempting to take comfort and place security in those numbers and read outs. Yet I take must remind myself my hope and trust rests in the Lord and His care for our family. I know we need to be diligent in his safety and exposure at home yet I must remember this burden does not rest on me. It rests on Christ. We are just instruments God is using to care for CJ. I pray he gives us all the wisdom we will need to take care of CJ and make good decisions. James 1:5 says, "if any of you lacks wisdom he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

So, it is our hope that we will post the next blog from the house. Our immediate prayer needs are for continued good blood counts. We are asking God to miraculously sustain CJ's white blood cells and platelets during this time. Also, CJ has to be back here on Friday for a spinal tap and more chemotherapy. He will be put to sleep for the spinal tap but hopefully we will be able to go home that same day. Please continue to pray with us for his quick recovery. We know God is able and the prayers and cries of His people reach His ears and hears and heals from heaven.

Here is a quick elementary lesson in chemotherapy to help you understand what CJ is going through:

The cancerous cells are fast growing cells that have basically gone haywire in your body and are not doing what normal cells do. No one knows why this happens.

Each drug in the Chemotherapy has its own side effects and risks that have to be monitored. The chemotherapy is a combination of really strong medicines that go into the body and attack the fast growing cells. But chemotherapy does not know the difference between the bad cells and the good cells in our body and it just attacks all fast growing cells. Your hair is a fast growing cell and that is why many chemotherapy patients lose their hair. Your saliva is a fast growing cell and that is why chemotherapy can cause pain and sores and many problems related to that. And more importantly, the blood inside our bone is also made up of fast growing cells. Your blood is made in your bones and it is made up of white cells, red cells and platelets. They will all be attacked by the chemotherapy although they are good fast growing cells. Platelets are what allow your blood to clot and when these are low you can have uncontrolled bleeding; that is why CJ can not do sports, or activities that can cause any sort of injury internally or externally. Your red blood cells carry your hemaglobins and that is what carries oxygen to your blood and throughout your body and to all your organs. This is why chemo patients are more tired and winded and fatigued and can become anemic. Platelets and red blood cells can be transfused if absolutely necessary which means they can be given to him through IV. But your white blood cells can not be transfused. These are important because these are the ones that help your body fight infection. When they are low you are at a higher risk of infections and have a harder time getting well once you are sick. This is why we need to be extremely diligent about his exposure to people and germs during this time and monitor the amount of visitors according to his blood levels.

Now that you have the basis idea of what we know at this point, please lock arms with us in prayer for CJ's protection and healing!

Amazed by His Grace,
The George Family

23 comments:

Tammi said...

Dear Dawn,
I am so excited to hear that CJ is "unhooked" and doing good! Thank You Jesus in Heaven for interceeding for our precious CJ before our Father God in Heaven! Please do not turn your eyes from our CJ and please hear our specific prayers! CJ we are praying for you non-stop! We love and adore you and your Mommy and Daddy and I am so, so happy to hear that you are behaving like yourself, even a little bit! That's wonderful! I love you CJ, I absolutely do. I love you Dawn, you are such a good Mommy.
I am here and I love you.
Aunt Tammi

TheMustardSeed said...

Dawn just a quick note to confirm that prayers for CJ cross countries,people,denominations and races.. We have asked all who will listen to us to pray for CJ. Today as I was reminding a friend, to pray for him that I fellowship with in Florida from here in Virginia, she said that she had heard of him again at her church Calvery in Ft. Lauderdale. Here in Virginia many are praying for him and his name will even be heard through the airwaves of christian radio for the glory of GOD.So be comforted that GOD's people are holding hands @ the world.. for CJ
Love
The Ferros

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!
CJ we pray that you can go home today and sleep in your own bed :) and be with the whole family !, May the Lord grant you renewed Grace and Wisdom for what lies ahead. We thank our father for His mercies with you and your family.
Much love and prayers...the Abeggs

Anonymous said...

C.J.

We are so excited about the news of you going home tonight. Please know that we have not stopped praying for you. May your transition back home be with much joy and grace for what God has planned ahead. We have already seen how much God has used you these last 12 days. We are hopeful and trusting that much more will come of this that will bring our Lord much glory.

By His amazing grace, The Fab's.

Hugh said...

Dawn and CJ and family, Just want to share what I think the Lord put on my heart for you guys today. Zeph. 3:17 "The Lord your GOD in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing" and Habakkuk 3:17-18 " Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls- Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will Joy in the God of my salvation." These are no doubt familiar, and wonderful to drink in! ... but the Lord gave me such an awesome picture of Himself, filling the room with you at the hospital, and at home filling the house, rejoicing over his beloved CJ and each one of you, those who are so clinging to Him, and the fragrance of His love, and His song DID quiet the fear, and bring thick, sweet peace, passing understanding and circumstance. He is mighty to save and near to all those who call on Him! You are each shining forth so brightly for your Savior! We join you in prayer many times each day! Love and blessings! mattie, hugh and caedmon

Gabe said...

CJ,
I love the news! I'm sorry that the chemo will be tough but the Lord is with you and He loves you so much.

Love,Gabriel Gonzalez

Anonymous said...

CJ, Dawn and Chris,

I am so happy to hear you may be going home today and if not today, very soon. I pray that you will find peace and rest when you get home. I am thankful for this blog and the comments posted. As your sister, it kills me not to be with you. But, I know God is working on me through this and wants me to be in constant prayer and not sitting by the hospital bed. I know He wants me to rely on Him through this, not my earthly desires to just be there in body. More than anything, I pray for your comfort, peace, and rest upon your return home. I will still monitor the blog and post comments. I love you guys and am thinking of you constantly, in prayer.

Love,
Jacks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
faith2pray said...

Oh how wonderful it is to see God moving in so many ways. Our prayers are with you always!

Forever Grateful,

Marilena, Lukas & Raquel

Annmarie said...

Hello again dear George family,

We are hopeful with you that CJ will do well enough off of the IV that he'll be able to go home with you. I(mom), can understand how it is scary to think of having to handle all of the medical needs that CJ has right now outside of the comforts of the hospital and caring staff. You are blessed to have the understanding of our faith being in the Great Physician whose grace is sufficient for you. Fear not, my sister in Christ. He holds you and your family in the palm of His hand.
Our family had a medical incident today with our son Quinn. He had a bad asthma attack. When he cannot breath, all sorts of anxious feelings rise up within me. I have to remind myself or should I say that the Holy Spirit of God reminds me that God's word is for always, even during asthma attacks! As I cried out to the Lord for Quinn's relief and my husband took him to the emergency room I thought of your family and all that you are going through. I cried out to the Lord for His grace to sustain you and for His healing mercy to be shown to CJ. I will pray that He will restore complete health to you CJ!

As you are already testifying, it is only by His grace and strength that we can get through. When our minds are saying "it's time to fear" God's word remains the same, "Fear not." "Be careful for nothing." I'm so thankful that you know the Savior. He will be your strength and peace as you face caring for CJ's needs outside of the hospital. We will continue to ask , seek and knock on your behalf.

With love in Christ,
Annmarie Kampf for the Kampf family
(friends of the Mahfoods in Rhode Island)

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee." Isaiah 26:3

Anonymous said...

Hey guys love you all, so happy to here the good news.
CJ stay strong buddy.
I'm praying for you constantly.

Scott R

Anonymous said...

oops I mean "hear" yeah I can reed reel gud

mary.merryj said...

I'm so glad at the prospect of you going home soon CJ! It makes me very excited for you and your whole family! All the people at my house miss seeing you, and we want to see your smile in real life again and not just on a computer screen. Can't wait to see you hopefully soon. I pray for you every day, and you are on my mind a lot. Feel better!

Love you!
Mary

CeCe said...

Ok, CJ......... I don't know what to say, oh no! This is the first time I had not idea what to say. Ok. I kinda want to spell really bad right now, but I don't want to make it hard for anyone. =)... GO HOME! I can't wait to see you again. And I bet a lot of the kids, even girls, want to see you really bad too! Do you think you can go to church on Sunday? If you can, then you can see my new glasses. I am going to get them on Friday. It is such a bummer that I have to get glasses. To tell you the truth, I wanted to cry when I was told that I had to get glasses. Well, enough of me, lets talk about somthing else. My whole family misses you guys! I once learned about a king, his name was "King Bing". And that really was his name. Funny right? lol. Wow, I am just writing random stuff, that has a meaning to me. Yup. Wierd. Ok, time to pray...

Dear Father,

God, please help CJ go home today. Or tommorow, or the next day God.
Amen

Sorry for not putting a longer prayer, I just have to hurry up, because everyone is telling me I need to go for dinner. But I still want to pray for the rest of the George Family!

Dear God,

Please help them to get happy that CJ can come home SOON God.
Amen

Love you all! I would do somthing longer, but I have to go eat dinner now!

CeCe

P.S. I love you all! lol.

ILy from (hearts) said...

Praise be to our LORD and Savior. I am sooooo happy to hear that CJ is unhooked. We will join you in your prayer request. Please continue to keep us posted. I agree with you guys, the less visitors the better. This way none of us will have the possiblilty to give him any bad germs which he does not need. Thanks so much for the lesson. Even though......I went through this with my dad, it was many years ago and a lot more is known now.
We love you guys and will continue to pray for you.
The FIgueroa's

Anonymous said...

It was great to see that smile I am use to seeing in the picture online recently. Praise God you could be coming home soon! I am happy to stay outside when I can give your sis a ride to classes. I will keep praying for your strength and recovery.
With love, Mrs. Gray

Roemello said...

Hey CJ!I Hope ur doing A-OK. Glad to hear ur going home. WWEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!I guess I will see u LATER.

:-0 :-)! Good bye.

Sincerely,
Roemello

Janet M said...

Dear George Family, As I write this, 9:30 pm, Wednesday night, you may be home! That is my hope and prayer. If that is not the case and CJ is spending another night in the hospital, we can only assume that the Lord knows what is best for him. Your blog said that CJ is acting like himself, what a turning point, you must be thrilled. Once your family is all under the same roof again, and you are all sleeping in your own beds, I pray the peace of God rains down on you. I pray that God's healing power not only continues to heal CJ, but also all that you have been through these almost two weeks. Happy are the people whose God is the Lord! Psalm 144:15 The Mahfoods love you

mefea said...

CJ!!!! YOU'RE HOME!!! I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU WITH YOUR FAMILY AND IN YOUR HOME! Right when i was leaving you said, "thank you for coming Melinda. You made me so happy." and while this may be true I think you made me even MORE happy than you'll ever know. It was so great to see you laughing and telling stories and joking with everyone. I love you so much and keep praying that through the GOOD times AND the HARD times you'll be able to keep your head up, praying always, trusting in God, and having joy.

w/ all my heart
~Melinda

CJ said...

Mindy,
I am and was very happy you
came to see me.
JOEY,
thank you for the letter I loved it, just like how I hope you like the letter I wrote to you.Thank you
your post, prayers letters, gifts
and everything else

CJ

boggeddown said...

You are in our prayers. Praise God for every step forward and none backward. Wishing God's best blessings for continued and speedy recovery. What a fine young man you have.

Love & Prayers,
Mary B. & Family

Sonia said...

Congratulations CJ you did good, now you are home and can be more confortable with your brothers, sister, and frinds, toys and books. Be carefull, keep preying, because God is good. We think and prey for you a lot.
Love,
Sonia, Antonio, Andrea y Ale.

Anonymous said...

Hey CJ,
I know you are glad to be home! We were so excided to hear you got to go home today! We LOVE you and can not wait to see you. Take care and we will talk later. Uncle Terry (Bug Man)