Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday, Oct 5th....Update and Invitation

CJ is now on day 16 of his first round of chemotherapy. He is holding up well. Praise God! He has not been sick or lost any hair and his blood counts are staying in safe ranges. His major side effects at this time are fatigue, upset stomach, jaw pain and hunger. This leads us to thank you immensely for your prayers for him over these past two weeks of chemo and to ask you to continue to pray diligently. We believe that your prayers combined with God's mercy are the main reason why he is doing so well in responding to the chemo. Chris and I are so grateful and believe God is granting us a time of recuperation after such an intense 13 days in the hospital. Yet there is this silent tension inside of us that feels like we are just waiting for the uphill climb to begin. I know that is my lack of faith and I confess it and repent of it each time it creeps up. CJ has outpatient chemo Monday, Wednesday and Friday of this week and we are praying for continued sustaining of his blood counts and overall health.

Unfortunately, he was not feeling well enough to go to church today although we had hoped to take that step together as a family. There is a strong desire in each of us to be with our church, especially now. Not being with them is like being told you can not see your family. Chris prayed right up until 15 minutes before the service started and just did not have peace about CJ going because we meet in a public middle school and as you know, we have to be extremely careful about CJ's exposure to viruses and germs. Alibrandi, our 12 year old daughter has been attending throughout this ordeal and I felt I needed to be there with her and also had a strong desire for corporate worship. I thought I was prepared, but when I walked in without Chris and CJ and heard the worship team leading worship and my saw my friends singing praises to my God I fell apart. It was extremely difficult to be there without them. My spirit rejoiced while my heart was crushed. It was truly bitter sweet! I was struggling with being there and having left CJ at home until God used my friend Wendy to speak directly to my heart. Here is the note she passed me...


"As I was praying for you this morning I thought of a mother bird
and how it flies off to find food for its family.
Even though it is so difficult to come this morning
without much of your family,
you are seeking food and nourishment for your family
that you can share with them when you return home.
And I pray God has met you this morning and filled you
so you can continue to share what you have been given with your family."

I can not tell you how that ministered to me and allowed me to release the feelings ripping at my heart and focus on worship and what God had for me this morning. Then I was able to be 'fed' and I felt the strength come back to my very bones as my pastor preached the word faithfully and with fervor. Thank you Wendy for sharing what God pressed on your heart for me. What is even more like God is that He then used Wendy to feed my entire family lunch and dinner today as she delivered food to our home this afternoon. Coincidence? I think not! By the way, everyone should have a Wendy! If you do not have a Wendy, I am very sorry for you. Feel free to come to my church and I will gladly share my Wendy with you.


Once that word of encouragement helped me get past the torn feelings God opened my ears to the message and opened my eyes to a more serious disease than cancer that is killing many. He kept pressing on me that cancer awareness was important and searching for cures was important but that there was a much more serious disease that people are unaware of. The sad thing is that there is a cure readily available to this disease. It is simple, yet profound. Simple in its availability to all yet so profound that even angels longed to look into this cure. I am talking about the disease of sin. The book of Romans tells us that "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". That declares our disease. I don't think any of us would argue with that. We know we sin, it is ingrained in us. We may have inherited this disease initially but we also actively participate in it as well. We know God is Holy and just. That too is ingrained in us. It only makes sense that God's holiness and man's sinfulness can not reconcile without some type of covering or He would not be holy. Romans goes on to tell us that "the wages of sin is death." Somehow we know this too. We know there must be a penalty or God would not be just. We can not enter the presence of a holy and just God covered in our sins. We try to convince ourselves otherwise from time to time with the, 'I'm a good guy' theory but who are we kidding? We are comparing that to a Holy God. God says, "..there is not one good, not even one!" Thankfully, God loves us so much that he wanted to reconcile us to Himself and this is the profound part....." God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I know you are expecting this but I can not leave it out because it truly says it all....."God so loved us that He gave His only son, (Jesus Christ) so that whoever believes in Him will not perish (pay the penalty of our own sins) but have eternal life. (His undeserved, merciful gift). So there is the cure! A readily available cure for a very serious disease. Take it. I beg you to take it. I implore you to take it. "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved!" "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"............I know many of you already are and you are now calling on the name of the Lord on behalf of my son. Please continue. Press on. Do not let the enemy distract you.

On that note of awareness, we are also seeking to bring awareness to what cancer is doing to families like ours and help raise money to help those families and fund research.......

Our family would like to invite you to walk with us in honor of CJ at 'Light the Night'. It will be held on October 11th from 6p to 9p at Memorial Miramar Hospital at Miramar Parkway and 172 Avenue. (Just a few block west of I75 and Miramar Parkway)

See information below that I copied from the web site. I also added the web site address for you to get further information.

You can click on register, join team, and then under team name put CJ's Friends. The team captain is Penny Arbulu. Once you join you can email to your friends and family to gain support if you like. They would like each registrant to raise a minimum of $25.oo and that will get you a balloon to carry at the walk as well as a meal ticket. You can come without raising the funds and walk but you won't have a balloon to carry. You can also register at the walk although it may take a little longer if there are lines.

Here is the link..... http://www.lightthenight.org and some information.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk is an annual event to raise funds for cures. It’s the nation’s night to pay tribute and bring hope to thousands of patients and their families. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk is a two-mile twilight walk that features participants carrying illuminated balloons to celebrate and commemorate lives touched by cancer. Cancer supporters carry red balloons, while cancer survivors and patients carry white balloons. For the second year in a row, supporters can carry a gold balloon which represents someone who has lost their life to cancer. Together, they "light the night" and truly brighten the future for millions touched by cancer.


Anyone can take part—children, adults and seniors are all welcome. This is a casual Walk with no fitness requirements. Not only will you be helping find cures.,


Please bring help and hope to thousands of people battling cancer.

If you think you can come will you please post a quick comment so I can know to look to for you. CJ and the family hope to see you there! For all of you who live far away please use that time to pray for CJ.




CJ reading the blog comments....








20 comments:

@ndrea- said...

Hey cj,
I just wanted to tell you that I continue to pray for you and wanted to share this verse:
Gal 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Cj, you have most likely heard this verse many times.Nevertheless, it reminded me of you.

You have/had great love for all around you before this happened and now.

The day before your MRI you had lots of joy and bright & happy as can be,

When i visited you on a sunday [which seems like so long ago] you had Peace! peace when you could have had none.

Through this trial you have had longsuffering.

When i talked to you on the phone you had kindness cj!

Right when you got home, you thought to give everybody who was serving you so much, gifts! thats goodness to me....

Cj, you have great faith & I pray that you continue to have faith in the one who is so faithful!! He is good and His mercy endures forever.
well that is it, i miss you jason.

Andrea-

p.s. if you ever read my last post the answer was: there both purple except for the elephant!! hah ok corny sorry!

p.s.s i like the picture but i think you accidentally had a canes hat on instead of a gators, ooops!

Heather said...

CJ
I love you CJ and I hope you feel better. And I like the pictures your mommy sent my mommy.
I love you CJ
Bye
from: Marissa
<3 <3

Mommy typed it for her. I would of had Maleena say something but she is sleeping, unlike SOMEBODY;0
Oh, I had to do the hearts too.

tricia mcpherson said...

The George Family,

We continue to keep you all in our daily prayers. I read your blog weekly and keep my family and friends updated because they are always asking, "How's CJ?" We would love to make the walk, however, may not be in town the weekend of the 11th so will be praying. Dawn, I am thrilled you went to church with your daughter and was so touched. That is so important, and WOW wouldn't that be awesome if everyone could have a "Wendy" in their life! GOD bless her.
And CJ, you are one tough 9 year old cookie. Keep your head up and stay strong, I think the whole world is praying for you. With that said, we will soon be rejoicing on your recovery! And let Andrea know, we'll have Uncle Chuck get you a Gators hat so you can remove the Canes one! LOL

Love,
The McPherson Family

Enzo said...

Dawn,

Thank you for sharing your story. Not only CJ but you are an inspiration to others. Especially mothers. I heard some whispering when we were at the hospital about let's see how your "Christianity would hold up" now that you had this trial. I looked at the person and said something to the effect if you know anyone that is expecting Dawn to waver or falter on her faith just buckle up as I expect just the opposite to happen. I'm glad that God showed them!!
Lots of Moms might give in at this time and start to question God but I see you seeking Him and thanking Him even more and I know just in my case I marvel at you and what God is doing for you. You are witnessing to everyone through CJ's illness just as he is.
I agree that God has given us mercy with CJ's treatment so far and that his counts have been good because of his and your faith.
Last night when CJ finally went out for a ride with his Dad and drove by the front of our house I quickly acted like a lunatic and ran banging on all my neighbors doors, Come out quick, he's here. My next door neighbor and dearest friend, Pam was in the back yard and dropped her shovel and came running saying okay and then half way there while running full speed she said, who's here? Later I laughed at myself. She is so good to me she ran full speed following me. I was running like if Jesus himself was here and they were following!! (Imagine if I was like Dawn I could lead everyone one to Jesus I think).I got my other neighbor out in the pouring rain and shook Enzo up from his sleep and he ran out the front door. Anyway, CJ, was laughing and smiling at his crazy Grandma so it was worth it. Please drive by anytime.
Grandma Paula
P.S. Tricia, I'm glad to see the McPherson family here!

Break the Mold said...

Trish,
Thanks for your posts. I too am glad to see the McPherson family here! Your post blessed me immeasurably! And guess what..we are family! Forever related by the blood of Christ! Amen! And we will be together and rejoice around His throne one day in Heaven.
God Bless you and all of yours,
Dawn and family

Break the Mold said...

Mom,

It is interesting that you mentioned that my faith would come into question. I don't blame anybody as I even wondered how my faith would hold up at first. Interstingly, before this began, I even asked God to test me in a way that I would know my faith was real...but that is a long story and for another blog post I will share one day. But I would like to share this verse....

Matthew 7:24 "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, yet it did not fall down, because it had its foundation on the Rock!"

What is amazing is that through this trial I found out that I am not holding my faith up, my faith is holding me up.

There is a line in a Casting Crowns song 'East to West' that I did not really completely understand until now.. It says..."I am not holding on to Him but He is holding on to me!" I get that now.

Casting Crowns are also the ones who wrote "Praise You in The Storm"..which is the song that lead me to ask God for this trial. If you have never heard those two songs I would engourage you all to get them. CJ's favorite song is also by them and it is called Voice of Truth. I can not tell you how many times he listened to that song over and over when he was strugling with fear anad anxiety! I am so proud of him as he really has chosen to 'listen and believe the voice of truth'!

Like CeCe, I feel the need to pray....

Dear God,
I thank you that my faith is not depenedant on me or my circumstances or any work I can do. I know there is nothing good in me Lord. I do no good a part from you....just ask all who truly know me! Father, I thank you for allowing this trail and the testing of my faith yet I run to you for shelter from the storm and seek your deliverance from it. Thank you for all the ways you prepared me and my family for this. And I thank you for all the ways you have provided for us throughout this trial. Strengthen us Lord, grant us wisdom. Continue to heal CJ Lord and speak to him withyour voice of truth!
I love you, Amen


Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hey CJ, We love you and want you to get better soon! I really want to go the cancer walk on Saturday, we will see what happens. It is nice to have these updates, thank you so much Mrs. George for letting us into your cyberhouse! :) I can't wait until you get to come back to church CJ, I will organize some of the guys to be your forcefield of bodyguards to keep people from smothering you in hugs! :) It will be great to see you again!

Joel


PS I found this game online that is very much like RISK, and is free! Next time I call, I'll talk to your parents about it.

Anonymous said...

Hi CJ,
Daniel and I are praying for you and thinking of you everyday! We love following along with you on your blog. Unfortunately, we are going to be away on a cruise this weekend so we won't be able to join you on the walk. We'll see you soon, xxoo Cindy & Daniel
(ps Dawn- let me know about the fruit vs cookies:)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

It is so heartwarming to see how you are surrounded by so much love. Sometimes it is very hard to find the words, but know that we continue to keep you all in our daily prayers and thoughts.

Lots of Love,
Nicole Alberto and Ana

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to tell you that we registered for the walk and we are super excited about it! We are looking forward to seeing all of you and walking for a cause that means so much. We will continue to pray deligently for CJ and all of you. God is amazing! I am so glad CJ is accepting treatment so well and his blood count is good. Praise God! Thank you, Lord! Please continue to heal CJ and show us just how Big you are! We lift CJ up to you, Lord and pray for full healing in a very short time. I believe you have already removed a big amount of these bad cells! Through you, Lord ALL things are possible and you are making believers out of unbelievers and you are making believers stronger and drawing them closer to you. Thank you, Lord. In Jesus name. Amen.

I quess my comment turned into a prayer. Praise God. I love all of you very much. Let's keep at it prayer warriors! As my mohter says, this is a marathon, not a sprint. We have to be steadfast!

Love,

Aunt Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dear CJ,

Just wanted to let you know that the Gavilan family plans to be at the walk on Oct. 11th! We love you and can't wait to see you again. Elias is enjoying your sending letters back and forth.

We're praying for you...

God bless, Mrs. Gavilan

Linda Espinosa said...

CJ I got this from a friend and thought that you would enjoy it. God bless you all.

A Letter From Jesus
I just had to write to tell you how much I love you and care for you. Yesterday, I saw you walking and laughing with your friends; I hoped that soon you'd want Me to walk along with you, too.



So, I painted you a sunset to close your day and whispered a cool breeze to refresh you. I waited and you never called. I just kept on loving you.



As I watched you fall asleep last night, I wanted so much to touch you. I spilled moonlight onto your face- trickling down your cheeks as so many tears have. You didn't even think of me; I wanted so much to comfort you.



The next day I exploded a brilliant sunrise into a glorious morning for you. But you woke up late and rushed off to work- you didn't even notice. My sky became cloudy and My tears were the rain.



I love you. Oh, if you'd only listen. I really love you. I try to say it in the quiet of the green meadow and in the blue sky.



The wind whispers My love throughout the treetops and spills it into the vibrant colors of the flowers. I shout it to you in the thunder of the great waterfalls and compose love songs for bands to sing for you.



I warm you with the clothing of My sunshine and perfume the air with nature's sweet scent. My love for you is deeper than the ocean and greater than any need in your heart. If you'd only realize how I care. I died just for you.



My Dad sends His love. I want you to meet Him. He cares, too. Fathers are just that way. So please call Me soon. No matter how long it takes, I'll wait because I love you.



Your Friend,
Jesus

Tammi said...

I like the letter from Jesus.
Love Aunt Tammi

CeCe said...

Hey George Family (this time I am talking about CJ too),

You all are such an influence on me. I miss you guys so much.
This is a really big disappointment to me and my sister, but we can not go to Light The Night because my cousin has an engagement party. :-(.
Guess what it is time for CJ! You don't have to guess because it is right below this...

Dear Father God,

People have been telling other people, praying hard, and wanting CJ to be all better, no more tumors, no more sickness, no more pain. God, I am praying that you answer our prayers, and get rid of CJ's tumor.
Amen

Okay. George Family I bet you know what comes next... what comes next...

Dear Heavenly Father,

Please take away the George's grief of not being able to go to church all together.
Amen

Sorry about not putting a longer prayer for you guys. Andrea just came here, and so we need to go to the hearts meating like NOW. Love all of you: Mr. George, Mrs. George, Alibrandi, CJ, Brett, and Corey.
Miss you all! And hope to see you soon.

CeCe

Roemello said...

Hello CJ! I saw all the pictures on
the web. I hope u liked the present I sent to u. God bless u.

:-)

Sincerely,
Roemello

Ily (hearts) said...

Once again Dawn thank you for being so honest with us. I know that the Lord is using you guys. I feel peace when I pray for you guys. I really cannot explain it but it is just like you told me....we are sister's in Christ and share a bond. I thank Jesus for keeping CJ's counts in order and I also thank him for restoring his body each and every day. Thank you LORD.
Blessings from DC,
Ily Figueroa

Anonymous said...

Hey CJ,
At 7:30 on Wednesday we will be praying for your coming day! Keep on being sooo brave when that burn hits you! I can't believe it when you said you were going to smile through the whole thing! you are crazy, dude!

But we love you anyway!
The Schmatjens

The Barnes Family said...

Hey CJ and family,
I just wanted to let you know that we will be praying for you while you walk. In fact we will be praying for every single person that is walking. I just can't help but sing "This little light of mine...I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine." You are our beacon of light pointing straight up to our Heavenly Father. Go and light up the sky!!!!!!!
Your family in Christ, The Barnes gang

Anonymous said...

We would be honored to be part of your team. All 5 of us will be there!!!

And BTW - I loved the Mother - Son poem! It brought tears to my eyes!

The Castro Family

Anonymous said...

CJ<
for some reason, my computer doesn't send e-mails with blogs or webs, something wrong with outlook express and I can't send e-mail to CJ from the blog. I would like to tell him that I am praying for him. I also I would like to visit him. I would like to draw or paint with him so he can have fun. It would be my gift to him.
I am sure CJ will become a giant of faith. He came to this world with a higher purpose. After this he will not fear anything and anybody and difficult times are coming soon to this world before Christ comes. His generation needs to be strong!!!
God bless you!
ANA

(CJ's Art Teacher)