Thursday, December 4, 2008

Scan Results



Beginning Phase 3 is on hold for CJ's as his counts were too low to begin. He will go back to the hospital on Monday to test his CBC's again and see if he is ready. His red and white cells are slowly coming back up but not enough to start the new chemo. His platelets however, are down. I hope these three days will allow his body time to recover enough to not only begin phase 3 but to begin it strong.


We were given the results of Tuesdays CT Scan today. I think everything is the same. No new masses detected and still near complete resolution. I wish I could explain it better but I think it may be best to just copy the impression of the radiological findings here. Here is his impression summary...


IMPRESSION:
"Near complete resolution of the adenopathy and soft tissue masses seen previously. The chest is normal. The liver is normal . There are some lobular changes in the kidneys which may represent some fetal lobations versus subtle areas of scarring. No renal lesions are identified. There is improvement but not complete resolution of the perirectal fat infiltration with a small amount remaining to the left of the rectum and in the presacral area. No other abnormality is identified."

So there you have it. There is some more improvement but it is not completley gone/clear yet. There is no seen adverse affect on the other organs and for that we thank and praise God. I wish I could explain the fancy technology, but I can't. I even looked up some of the words to try to but I only got more confused. I look forward to the PET Scan results for further confirmation of the above findings. Although we are thankful for the present results, when I read that it does not speak life and healing to me. So I made my own impression summary:

IMPRESSION:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11
"Because he loves me"says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." Psalm 91:14-16

I like my findings much better, don't you. They speak life and healing to me! I feel better already just typing that. I should be a radiologist! I am pretty good at this. I know you all probably think I am losing it. But I think I am just really, really tired and a little saddened by all that is around me at the hospital. The words of the medical field can be cold and impersonal. That is why I love to wash it all down with scripture. The words of God are warm and personal and breathe life into my bones. I pray they will also breathe life into CJ's bones right down to his cells. Wow, wait a minute! Consider Hebrews 4:12 with me for a moment..."For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow..." Wow! That verse sure comes alive when your child is actually suffering in his joints and marrow. Can you think of a double edged sword that divides right down to the bone and marrow? Think.......think........it is a scalpel. A physicians knife! Used with precision and skill . And yet, we have the Great Physician with the most precise scalpel of all.... His very own words. So there you have it, my impression and findings are much more precise.

Prayer requests:

Pray for CJ to rebound in his counts as well as for all the family to rebound in strength and rest. It is easy to grow weary as the storm rages and the battle drags on.

Please pray for Chris. He is sick with a head cold. He is struggling because he is terrified of getting CJ sick. It really is unbelievable because he is the one who has been an absolute germ freak since this all started. Actually, I take that back, he was already a germ freak before, now he is paranoid. Seriously though, he is struggling because he can not kiss or hug CJ at all. I think it has almost been a week since he has hugged, kissed or cuddled with him and I know that must feel like an eternity. Mostly, I believe God is trying to demonstrate his sovereignty and control to Chris once again. He has tried so desperately to be in control of all forms of germs that CJ may come in contact with but I think he was in need of a fresh reminder that he is not in ultimate control. I think God is asking him to trust Him not only with the big issues but the little details as well. So far, no one else has gotten sick. We ask for that to remain so and for Chris' healing and humbling.

He had an interesting encounter this week I would love to share with you. For those of you who know Chris, you know he is extremely private. As you can imagine, this situation has challenged him to share very personal things like never before and God has blessed his openness immensely. He was at a car lot this week because we are still in need of a second car to go back and forth to appointments. Well, he explained to the salesman what we were looking for and why we needed a simple, inexpensive car to go to appointments. The man immediately said, 'You just met a man who goes to mass every morning to pray." He prayed right there on the spot in the car lot with Chris and they were able to share their faith with each other. Chris gave him a bracelet and he said he would continue to pray for CJ. This really encouraged Chris and I pray he will continue to be bold in sharing himself and his faith with others. I thank God for placing that gentleman in that spot that day to encourage Chris.
We also thank you all for your prayers and encouragement. Thank you for the calls and comments asking about the results of the scans. Sorry I couldn't get this up sooner, but my editor (Chris) fell asleep. It will be posted as soon as he approves it! I look forward to sharing with you a very special feature of the pediatric ambulatory unit in a future blog and pictures.

6 comments:

Enzo said...

Honey,

I love your impression. I think next time you an CJ need to spend time at the hospital you should put up the impression with yours right underneath for everyone to read. It is great. I pray that CJ will get all his counts up and be strong through this next session. I pray for all of you to be refreshed this weekend with Alibrandi's piano recital and the party for the cancer kids and their families on Sunday. As I'm getting ready to take Enzo to the hospital today for his procedure I'm thinking of you guys and how you have to do this weekly, bi-weekly and how much work it is and how emotionally tiring it is. I pray for Chris that he will feel better soon so he could snuggle up with his son again. I love you guys.
Mom

Anonymous said...

This is good that CJ is doing so well, I am so glad to hear the doctor's report, as well as yours. I will definitely be praying for Mr. George's healing.

Joel

Martha Rivero said...

Hi Dawn,

May all the glory and the praise to our God who is always listening and attentive to our prayers...
I am very happy to hear “no new masses are found”, and that the ones before are nearly gone, and that CJ organs are clean, Thank you GOD!!!!

God is in control. I am agreed with you, your impression is much better!!!! I hope your husband feel better soon, I hope you and your family gain the strength and the rest needed, I hope in God that CJ's blood counts go up, they will, God is always in control.

I want to say Hi to your mom whom is always thanking me for my comments to you and the family, I want to say to her that there is no need, that meeting you through out this blog have been a blessing sent by our God who makes us one through his love and in our prayers. I will continue to pray for all of you including your mom who is so kind and sweet.

My life has changed immensely, I have growth in God, and I praise the lord for that!

Your sister in Christ,

Martha

Janet S. said...

Hi, Dawn. I woke up with you all on my mind and couldn't get back to sleep. I guess I'm on God's schedule to pray now. :-)
Great scripture references, Dawn. I know God gave them to you specifically for CJ. I am praying for all of you...especially CJ and Chris.
with much love, Janet

ily(hearts) said...

Dawn,
I love your IMPRESSION better than the Docs. Yours is right to the point. GOD's point. Thanks for sharing. I am so happy that Cj is doing great. We will continue to pray for all of you. Tell Chris I understand the germ fobia thing very well, coming from a person that if I could I would steralize everything and everyone (LOL):)
Blessings to all,
ILy
Southwest Ranches, Florida

Anonymous said...

DAWN,

MY PRAYERS WILL BE WITH CJ TODAY.
LOVE JACKS