Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spirit Jump

SEE UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST!


CJ was interviewed today on CBS4 as a part of a piece for a program called Spirit Jump. It will air tomorrow (Friday 11/6) at the 6pm broadcast. Please tune in to see an incredible piece on an incredible organization. We are honored that they chose CJ to be a part of this interview.

Spirit Jump is a non-profit founded by Meaghan Edelstein, a terminal cancer survivor. In other words, a living miracle! And you know it when you are around her. It takes someone coming that close to death to be so full of life.

Meaghan was diagnosed with stage 3b cervical cancer in 2007 and given little chances of survival. Meaghan fought back and won! Not only because she is a survivor, but because she is a survivor using her experience to bless others and there is no greater victory than that! Meaghan credits God with her physical survival but she credits the cards and letters and kindness of others she received during her battle with helping her in the daily fight against this deadly disease.

In an effort to help others battling cancer, Meaghan founded Spirit Jump which pairs up 'Spirit Jumpers' with Cancer patients all over the world. A spirit jump is simple....it's a card, a letter, a note, a small gift or a postcard sent to someone with cancer to lift their spirits. And believe me, it works! CJ is a Spirit Jumpee. He receives Spirit Jumps in the mail from all over the country thanks to Spirit Jump. And they lift his spirits every time. And to be honest, they lift mine too!

I encourage you to check out their website at http://www.spiritjump.org/ Sign up to be a spirit Jumper. It is as simple as receiving an email now and then and deciding which person you would like to send a jump to. CJ especially loves the Spirit Jumps that come from other children so allow encourage your kids to color a picture and drop it in the mail. You get to choose who to send a jump to.

Thank you Meaghan and Brian for allowing us to be a part of this! We had a lot of fun.

Don't forget to tune in Friday November 6th at 6pm on CBS4 for the piece!
Here is the link if you missed the airing.
CBS4 Spirit Jump


CJ has chemo tomorrow morning. He is doing well adjusting to being back on the meds after two weeks off in an effort to get his counts up. We are anticipating his counts still being in a safe range to move forward with chemo tomorrow. Please pray for his spiritual peace and physical comfort as he moves forward with treatment.
Please pray for us to make the most of every opportunity and be aware of those around us continually in the hospital and at the oncology office. I never want to grow so complacent or even comfortable in this that I overlook the hurting families all around me.

Please pray for our family to have wisdom as we move forward with our own non-profit Children Battling Cancer, Inc. We pray God will grant us wisdom and discernment as we seek to serve families battling this devastating disease in a way that honors and glorifies Him above all else.

For those of you I asked to pray for 15 year old Amanda Blake; Amanda went home to be with the Lord this past Sunday. Please continue to pray for her father and two brothers as they deal with her loss.


"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves received from God."....
(In other words....'if you have received a SpiritJump, give one in return') (paraphrase mine!)
2 Cor 1:3-4

Go to the website and sign up to be a Spirit Jumper and let them know we sent you!
You will see CJ there as a Jumpee! He would love to receive a spirit jump too!
www.Spirit Jump.Org

And remember you lift my spirits when you comment here on the blog and let us know you are still with us on this amazing journey.



Update: CJ did great with the chemo Friday. His counts were still high enough to move forward. He was a little antsy about the port access and seemed more uncomfortable than usual during it but it seemed to go well overall. His nurse and I were chatting away and catching up on things so we were not sure if he was just squirming and whining because we were not paying full attention to him. So we started teasing him that he was just jealous that we were talking about things other than him. I had to laugh at myself later that I could sit and chat with the nurse while CJ was getting his port accessed and squirming around. I guess I have come a long way too!
He was happy it was what we call a "fast chemo" day. No spinal tap, no getting put to sleep, and no fasting! That was a blessing. He was a little tired after all the meds but still managed to pull off going to the Panthers Hockey game with his friends Adam and Emily. Thank you sooo much Adam and Emily for taking him to this. I can not tell you what an amazing milestone that this is in the life of a little boy who has suffered from intense anxiety and would typically walk away from opportunities like this rather than go, allowing fear to control him. This is truly no small thing that happened last night by him going with you two and we are grateful to you and very grateful to God for providing him with the strength and courage to do so! Or better said, for being his strength so he could go. I find it interesting that this progress coincided with him spending a faithful amount of time in his devotions and Bible reading lately. He has even taken up reading the Bible to his little brother Brett at night and it is so sweet to overhear.

And...as you two are about to discover as soon to be first time parents...this was no small accomplishment for mommy and daddy as well to let him go! So thank you and please know that it speaks volumes about how we feel about the two of you!

Today CJ has closing day ceremonies for his baseball season. We are so grateful he got to play that one last game last week when his counts finally rebounded. And it was the All Star game! And........he got a big hit to right field for a double. I am taking credit for this one folks! I sat on those bleachers and prayed- prayed- prayed that the Lord would let him get a bit hit after all he'd been through. I knew he wanted it so bad he could taste it and it would be the perfect end to a difficult and yet blessed season.
Guess what folks! CJ's team did not win one game all season....BUT they had more victory that any other team out there because of what it meant for CJ to step on that field and play his little heart out.


"You give me your shield of victory; you stoop down to make me great!"
(2 Sam 22:36)

Sorry I can't walk away from this post without commenting on what a beautiful picture this small little verse paints of what God has done has for us. I love the image of His "stooping down" to make us great! As a father stoops down to help his small little child when he struggles, so too our great Heavenly Father stoops down from the very throne of heaven to shield us and provide the victory we so desperately need.

In our case, it wasn't the victory in battle that the Psalmist David is referring to above but an even greater victory. He stooped down to provide us with the victory over sin and death by tasting and overcoming sin and death for us and washing us clean! Praise be to God for the victory we receive through Jesus Christ! My friends, this is the equivalent to a final world war where the ultimate battle between all the counties of the Earth takes place and the Mighty, Strong, Valiant, Deserving Victor wins the battle and then stoops down and scandalously hands the victory to the weakest, most undeserving, pitiful, destroyed nation that had no way of saving itself. Wow!

Sorry, I know that was a 'guy' analogy. I have war on the brain lately. I guess its the war that takes place on a daily basis for my heart, my mind, my obedience, my faith. But it is a battle that has already been won! God already holds and provides the victory! He will stoop down and make me great!



11 comments:

Meaghan said...

Wow I am humbled by this post! What an amazing boy CJ is....and the rest of the family so wonderful too. You would never know cancer has been part of your journey because you and your home is full of love and life. I hope we are able to visit again because you it was such a joy for us! Thank you for sharing this with all your readers. I hope people who read this post are moved to join us and if they know someone battling cancer maybe we can help them!

You are a true angel!

Anonymous said...

Way to go CJ!! Your baseball paparazzi went back to Virginia, but I see your Miami paparazzi is still around!! You're a bona fide television star!! We love you and are praying for you! Love, Aunt karen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

CJ....I love the fact you got to go out and play your last game of the season. It's the things that are normal in your life that will always give you the greatest of pleasures......

Your hugs yesterday were so great yesterday.
Love you lots and lots,
Aunt Penny
xoxooxox

Tricia McPherson said...

Dawn,
Yesterday my girlfriend shared with me the unfortunate news of her daughters friend, Amanda Blake. Very sad, however, she is in good hands now in heaven. I shared CJs story with her and realized its been a long time since I've read your blog. Not at all forgotten, CJ and your family are in my prayers every day, but I decided to get caught up on my reading tonight. I am so excited to hear about CJs BIG hit to right field, Congratulations! That is awesome and brings tears to my eyes. We are also thrilled to learn he is accepting his cancer treatments so well. He is a strong boy and is very lucky to have such wonderful, uplifting parents. I wanted to express our sorrow and support in the loss of your father as well. He, along with Amanda, are in peace now. If there is anything I can do, please let us know.
With love and lots of prayers,
The McPherson Family
Bryan, Trish, Eric & Angel
tjsupermom@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Way to go, CJ! Good job! (the double hit) Love, Uncle Terry

Ily said...

HI Guys,
Just wanted to let you know that we miss you and would love to spend some time with you guys. I love this picture of Cj it brings joy to my heart. Praises to the Lord.
Love ya,
ILY

CeCe said...

Cool, I'm gunna ask my mom if I can be a spirit jumper! :)

CeCe

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,

So happy to hear that CJ's counts went up and that he was able to play that last game! We think about all of you and keep you in our prayers always

Love, Nicole Ana Alberto

martha said...

Dear Dawn,

I just loved the interview, waoooo I am speechless. God bless CJ, God bless Spirit Jump, God bless you and your family, I love you all, and I want you know that I always pray for CJ, you, and your family.

With love,

Martha

Irene said...

We recently found out about CJ through Mabel who is in our homeschool group. She gave us a wristband in a little bag. I took out the wristband and the bag sat on our desk for a couple weeks. I usually throw stuff away after a couple weeks, but I couldn't do that with the little bag that had CJ's info on it. I finally sat down one night and visited your blog for the first time. I have been so encouraged and blessed by the testimony of your family's faith as you journey through this very difficult time. I think often of CJ and we pray for him every day. My four year old especially thinks of CJ. Every morning during our devotion time, he prays for CJ. That God "would put his hands on CJ" and that "his CBC count would be high". And of course, my 2year old little girl, who is like a parrot has learned through her brother to pray for CJ as well. She stops each time during her prayer and questions "CJ?" to make sure she has it right. I am thankful that we are able to pray for you and be a part of this journey. Thank you for taking the time to blog and for being so real and transparent. I am challenged each time I visit your blog. Thank you for reminding me of how precious life is and especially to enjoy every moment with my 3 little ones. We will continue to pray for CJ and his complete healing....Psalm 20.