Thursday, December 3, 2009

Vote For CJ!


Vote for CJ!
(See bottom of this post!)


Here's a tip..... The next time your kid has a chemotherapy appointment coming up...be sure you don't mention it to him until the last possible moment!

We told CJ he had his chemotherapy and spinal tap appointment yesterday to prepare him for today and it basically ruined two days for him instead of one. The closer the day drew to a close and the closer the appointment drew near, the more he sulked. He did not want to go. Understandable! We tried to reassure him. We reasoned that it was Thursday instead of his usual Friday appointment and that would allow for him to have a longer weekend and recoup in time for his first Flag Football game this Saturday. We told him he would get to see the nurses he has not seen in so long and maybe some of the kids. None of that seemed to work.

When it came time to put CJ's numbing creme on his port before we left the house so he would be good and numb when they accessed him for chemo he really became uncooperative. He complained about the tape and how much it itches. So we used press-n-seal instead and he complained about that. I wish I could say I gently came along side my son, reassured him, and prayed with him. But I didn't! Instead I told him, "Fine! Go without the creme and see how that goes over when it is time to access you." He scowled at me.
"It itches!" he whined.
"No it doesn't!" I countered.
"How would you know?" he challenged.
And that was it.....I ripped open the press and seal and start sticking it all over my chest as well. His eyes revealed his pleasure at that even though his scowl remained.

It is so difficult having a child you feel sorry for because they have to endure all of this and yet you can not allow disrespect or disobedience because you are still training them. It's easy to think that since they have cancer they get a free pass on attitude and disrespect and responsibility but it doesn't work that way unless we want to pay a huge price later. I have actually had other cancer moms warn me, "Whatever you do, don't stop training them! We created a monster and now that it is over we don't know what to do." I certainly don't want to create a monster and yet I certainly don't want to have to spank my child right before heading out the door to chemotherapy.

I know...I know...you all probably think we are crazy or at the very least, cruel. My mom will be calling to let me have it before she even finishes reading this post. Just so you know mom, it was daddy who almost had to do the correcting. Lucky for CJ, Daddy's a lot more patient than me. I am gald to say that instead of spanking, we resorted to reminding CJ about some of the kids we have met recently, like little Andrew! I told CJ to consider what Andrew and his family would give to be ABLE to go to chemotherapy and have a fighting chance against this disease. Then I reminded him of 9 year old Truman who just had his leg amputated in an effort to save his life. What would he give for chemotherapy to be enough to eradicate his cancer? I know comparing others problems doesn't eliminate our own, but it does help put things in perspective a little sometimes. After thinking about these other children, CJ seemed to soften a bit. Plus I think he liked the idea that I had tape all over my chest too.

Anyway, once CJ and I got under way things eased up and within about 10 minutes I could see more than just the back of his head. He did well with his nurse and the port access and the spinal tap. It was a long day but Chris brought our other three kids up to the hospital and that was nice. It was good for all the kids to be there again. This has become so much a routine in our lives that I worry they will minimize the significance of it all. Being there surrounded by all the kids that are struggling and fighting this disease really helps keep things in perspective for us.

CJ is doing well and not reacting too badly to the chemo. He did well with the spinal tap. He got the itchy face he always has to deal with and a headache which is common after a spinal, but other than that he seems okay. His CBC (blood counts) were in a fair range so he is not increasing his meds or decreasing them at this time. He is at about 75% dosing. They like to try to work them up to 100% dosing while keeping the counts in a good range but for now we will hold where we are. Today he starts his monthly steroid regiment and that should help boost his counts a bit as well as his appetite!

Thank you for all the prayers and we ask that you continue to pray for his continued healing.

We also want to ask a favor. Would you please take one minute to Vote for CJ on the C.O.L.E. Foundation website. (See link below.) They are having a Christmas Cash Giveaway to the kid with cancer that gets the most votes before December 15th. So hurry and get your vote in and spread the word to all your friends. It is very easy to do. Just enter your email address (they only allow one vote per email and this is how they keep track of who votes) and select CJ George from the long list of cancer kids. I must warn you the list is a little depressing to see but it is a reality. All these kids are fighting cancer. I am sure it will be great for whoever wins but we would love CJ to see how many people support him and vote for him.



Thank you again for your prayers and support. Keep praying for CJ's continued physical battle and the spiritual one as well. The enemy wants this boy my friends. I can tell you that boldly and confidently as his mother. He has tried to destroy him in more ways than one but we are not going to give up or give him a foothold in his life. Thankfully, the enemy is no match for the One we serve.

"The enemy boasted,
'I will pursue, I will overtake them.
I will divide the spoils;
I will gorge myself on them.
I will draw my sword
and my hand will destroy them.'

But you blew with your breath,
and the sea covered them.
They sank like lead
in the mighty waters.

"Who among the gods is like you, O LORD ?
Who is like you—
majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory,
working wonders?

You stretched out your right hand
and the earth swallowed them.

In your unfailing love you will lead
the people you have redeemed.
In your strength you will guide them
to your holy dwelling."

(Exodus 15:9-13)





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?" Jeremiah 32:37
CJ, this verse is for you!
Love, Aunt karen

Wendy Whitlow said...

Hey CJ,

Hang in there. Remember... I CAN do all things through Christ - who gives me strength.

Hey Mom...great idea with the tape. :-) You're doing great Dawn. Keep sharing. I'm learning so much.

Love,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,
Thank you again for sharing your "battles," I can not imagine how challenging it must be to stay firm and kind when there seems to be so much at stake. But your humor, incredible patience and wisdom are admirable. Our family illnesses and injuries are nothing compare to what you and other families with cancer must endure. But I can understand how my own fear of "messing" up, specially with the ministry of our children, can sometimes control my actions. I thank God for His incredible patience and firm loving guidance in our lives.
Love,
Wilma

Harold said...

Dawn,

So did the tape itch? I am totally team CJ all the way! I can not imagine having to watch my child suffer like that. My heart goes out to you, Chris, CJ, and the kids..Mom is still gonna call you, you know!

Love,

Jacks

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We voted!!! Hope you win, let us know. So happy to hear that CJ's blood count is stable. So he is going to play flag football? That is great! We are always thinking and keping all of you in our prayers. Lots of love, Nicole Ana , Alberto

Enzo said...

I laughed out loud about the part where you put the tape all over yourself. Humor is good. When I took CJ for his promised day to the mall (you'd of thought he was in Disney World since Dawn and the kids never go there) to buy his family holiday gifts he was trying so hard to pick out something nice for you Dawn that I don't really think he holds a grudge. I don't think he can help the anxiety. On the way to the mall we went over a little bump in the road and a minute later he said Grandma, you know that bump we just went over back there by the gas station? I said yes. He said every time I used to go over that bump I'd get a big stomach ache since I knew I was getting closer to the hospital. Later I realized he was talking about the hospital he used to go every time you took him to find out why he was in so much pain. Not Joe DiMaggio. I felt so badly that he has that memory. I was happy that on this day the bump didn't give him a stomach ache.

He called his Dad on the phone once to ask if he could get a certain game. He wanted to make sure it was appropriate. While talking to his Dad I heard him say thank you 6 times in a two minute conversation. He was so polite and respectful to everything his Dad said. He kept wanting to carry all the bags telling me that was what grandsons were for. I think your training is going very well.

Later Papa took him on I-75 in the corvette. Since he can't get a ticket after the fact I'll let you know they jumped on it a little. When they were in the driveway and the car was in neutral CJ sat in the driver seat and Papa let him rev it up. Boy did he. He got out of the car and said that was every little boy's dream. I was so happy for him. Later he asked me why he didn't go through the garage door when he was reving it up so hard. Made me wonder why he would do that if he thought he could go through the door but I didn't think about that one too long.

When I went on the website to vote for CJ it just broke my heart at the amount of names on that list. I wish every single one could win.

Is the swimathon still on? I forgot to ask.

Oh well have to go to work so I can be SantaMa. That is what CJ was calling me that day.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://oxyxodic.1accesshost.com/jiwinu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! georgefamilybreakthemold.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://uzevewil.100freemb.com/fovyner.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and see how everyone is. I am sure you are all busy with the Holidays and CBC projects. I dont know how you do it all! I have to admit that I also don't like it when you take so long between posts! Gets me a little nervous!
We think of you guys and keep you always in our prayers!

Love, Nicole Alberto and Ana