Monday, August 29, 2011

Blinded by Faith

(Nick and CJ)

It has been a long month. One filled with more loss than most people experience in a lifetime. I don't even know where to begin.

After a 22 month battle with cancer, "Poppa Enzo" passed away on Tuesday, August, 16th. During the final days, there was plenty of time for the family and friends to come and say good-bye. CJ stood over his bed two days before he passed and said, "I love you poppa." I hated that he had to see up close and personal what cancer can do physically to a body and know he came close to experiencing that.

I won't go into detail about those final days because if I said they were beautiful and peaceful and there was no pain or suffering or questions I would be lying. That's not say there were not some very precious moments. They're were. But if I described it with any honestly at all it would only serve to leave you heartbroken and confused. All in all, it all boils down to this.... regardless of our circumstances and what appears before us, we walk by faith and not by sight!
If I walked by sight I can tell you right now I would be devastated.

Unbelievably, the week that Enzo passed we lost three cancer kids. THREE! Ethan Jostad, Bo Story, and Abby Smith. All were very young children. I felt so heartbroken and yet so incredibly selfish because I was so thankful that CJ was healthy and playing outside as death hovered over this house and the house of so many precious children. Childhood cancer is beyond devastating. The facts alone would crush you. The reality of it is even worse. Many ask me how we stay so immersed in it? We walk by faith and not by sight.

As I sat and held Enzo's hand watching him take his final breaths, I could not help but think of Mackenzie whose little hand I held just 6 months before as she took her final breaths. I could not believe it was only 6 months prior. I felt like I had lived a lifetime in between. I honestly began to wonder if my kids were ready to handle this again.

We had Enzo's funeral the following day and I sat there looking at my little 8 year old Brett as he walked over to the coffin, stopped, and began to cry. I remember thinking, Lord, please work all things for good....even this. Even an 8 year old boy standing at his second grandfathers coffin in less than two years. Did I really bury my dad less than two years ago? And now I am burying my step father. I felt like I had lived a lifetime in between.

CJ was in the car with his grandma Paula (my mom) the other day just before Enzo passed and they were chatting. My mom told him that when she was his age she had never even known of anyone who died. He just looked at her trying to make sense of that reality and said, "I can't even imagine a life not knowing of cancer and death." He knows so much of it. He's 12.

Unfortunately, as much as I would have liked to have shielded him from further loss and say I thought this would be the last for a while, I knew he was about to know more of it. Our sweet friend Nick Patrick, age 15, who was battling cancer was not doing well at the time. I kept praying selfishly that the Lord would wait. We were not ready for another blow. But the Lord's time is set and Nick went to be with Him yesterday morning. I dreaded telling CJ and the rest of the kids. We had just spent a wonderful weekend with Nick and his amazing family a little over a month ago. Was that really only a month ago? I felt like I had lived a lifetime in between.

I hate to end this blog here. I know there should be some big lesson in it. But I don't have one other than to say, "we walk by faith and not by sight." So instead of any words of wisdom which I certainly don't have, I am going to leave you with what I honestly believe 15 year old Nick would tell you if he could say one last thing.......First, I think he would really be tempted to crack a joke and leave you laughing as his final farewell. But based on what I know of him and of what he believed and experienced, and based on where he is now, I think if Nick could say one thing it would be this.....

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Phil 1:21)

And I leave my fellow blinded sojourners with this....

"We walk by faith, not by sight"
(2Cor5:7)
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
(Hebrews 11:1)


Thank you to everyone who made donations to CBC in memory of Enzo Alibrandi in lieu of sending flowers. It will be a blessing to many families in great need and honors his memory greatly.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, you have moved me to tears once again! Your family has had more loss of family and friends in 2 years than I have in my lifetime. You are a blessing to many through your words, through CBC and by the example of a life of faith. I want to imitate your faith. I am thankful to have you as a friend. It was you who when I lost my job recently said to me, "Janet, just say to yourself, 'I am excited to see what God is going to do'." Basically, walk by faith, not by sight. And you were right! If there were a book written today of the Hall of Faith, the Georges would be in it....I know you would say far from perfect, as we all are, but what a rich life of faith you are living. Thank you for sharing your heart. Call it words of wisdom or call it your experience with God.....janet s.

beckyg said...

My sentiments exactly Janet...you summed it up so well. Dawn, thanks just doesn't seem enough for how you share your heart so openly time and time again. I, too, am thankful for your friendship. What a gift of expression through writing you have! Thanks for letting us walk alongside you on this journey the Lord has you on, regardless of where it takes you. May the Lord continue to use you mightily as you seek to serve Him. May His Holy Spirit continue to be your strength...love you missy :)

Sonia said...

Life is a mystery, we come and go with the miracle of the existence and with the sadness of loosing the battle, that we will loose no mater what. Only God is our hope, to calm the anguish of existence and uncertain of life after death. Very sad moments for all of us.
Love,
Sonia.

Anonymous said...

George Family,
Your family is an example of steadfastness.
You remind me of James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
We pray God blesses and pours out love and increases your faiths to keep fighting the good fight and being such an example to us all!
Love you,

Gil & Val x 2