Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Hear a "BUT" Coming


I guess this is my go to place when it comes to all things CJ and needing prayer.

CJ went in this past Monday (October 7th) for scans.  These were not exactly routine scans since he is now at the point that he only goes to the oncologist once every 6 months for blood work and a physical. However, at his last physical, which was about a month ago, he was having some back pain and the doctor decided to order a CT scan to be on the safe side.  The doctor actually said, I really don't think anything is wrong and the odds are it is not a relapse but I know how hard it is to look at a cancer mom and talk about odds and her take me serious to any real extent after how many times she has been told by doctors 'it is nothing'.  I liked that he acknowledged that.

So the scans was on Monday afternoon and by Tuesday I got a call from the doctor. He began by saying that his back looked good and the original tumor site at his spine had no signs of disease. He also said there was no disease present in the kidney, liver or stomach.  All those organs looked healthy and normal.  Praise God for that!    

BUT he entire time he was talking I could sense the "BUT" coming.  But is not usually a good thing.   Unless you are reading Scripture! Then BUT is the most beautiful word you will ever read.  It is actually my favorite word in the entire bible because it is always a word that brings hope and answers not confusion and fear.  But not this time. 

This time the "but" actually turned out to be the spleen. The doctor said "but CJ's spleen presented with some concerns." I won't use the fancy medical terms but needless to say, the doctors and radiologists decided that it is best to go back and do more detailed scans to rule out recurrence of disease and see what is going on with the spleen.   I will say that they don't seem overly worried. Just cautious as they should be.

Therefore, CJ will be scheduled for an MRI in the coming days as a follow up to his CT scan.


The timing of this turn of events was actually interesting to me because CJ literally just completed his two year commitment as the National Youth Ambassador to Hyundai Hope on Wheels.  He has spent a good part of the past two years of his remission traveling the country visiting children's hospitals to share his story and bring hope to families in the world of pediatric cancer. 

September was particularly busy with several trips all over the country culminating with a trip to Washington DC to speak at a press conference on Capital Hill for National Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.  He met several congressmen and women dedicated to the cause. And he shared the podium with the Korean Ambassador to the United States, Sung Kim.  When the Koren Ambassador looked at him and said, "CJ, we are fellow Ambassadors," I don't think CJ could truly grasp the significance of that moment and how cool it was. 

He did a great job with his speeches and we are extremely proud of all the hard work he has done to continue to push forward the cause of pediatric cancer awareness and funding.  He worked really hard on speeches and sacrificed his personal time for something bigger than himself.  All that sacrifice has been multiplied into incredible blessings. He has had so many neat opportunities as the National Youth Ambassador for Hyundai including speaking twice on Capital Hill in DC,  visiting NY City for events and interviews, appearing on FOX News, ringing the closing bell of the NASDAQ in NY City, speaking in hospitals from coast to coast, interviewing celebrities in California that are supporting the cause, starring in a national commercial for pediatric cancer awareness, and most importantly meeting some really incredible kids fighting cancer all over this country, many of whom he still keeps in touch with through the world of social media. 


There is so much to share on that end but if I start now, this blog post will get really long really fast.  So for now, I ask for prayer for CJ as he continues the fight..... his own personal fight to stay in remission as he faces these scans and his continued fight for the cause.

So as I leave you  praying for our "but"...let me also leave you with some of my favorite "buts" which is where we will be camping our thoughts and prayers in the meantime as we wait.

For the wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. 
Romans 6:23

All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.  BUT because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.  Ephesians 2:3-5


Remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. BUT now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.  Ephesians 2:13


 "My flesh and my heart may fail, BUT God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26


 "You intended to harm me, BUT God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." Genesis 50:20



6 comments:

Jackie Riobe said...

I will be in prayer for CJ. The scripture you quoted is priceless!

Janet said...

We're praying. Thanks for posting this and letting us all know.

beckyg said...

We will continue to stand with you in prayer!

Tanya Riobe said...

CJ has never left my prayer list even though he moved to the healed list two years ago. I know in my heart that he has been healed by the lord but will continue to pray for him and for you and your family to get through all of the upcoming scans.

Alexa said...

Praying and praying \o/ Psalm 116:5-9 The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me. Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. For you, O LORD, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the LORD in the land of the living.

Billy Long said...

Dawn, there is another "But" verse to add to your list:
"And the patriarchs...sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him, and delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favor.." Acts 7:9-10
C J has remained on my prayer list since I visited with you all when I was on that job in your area. I am standing with you all. May the Lord continue to bless you.
Billy